Tuesday, May 27, 2008

My weekend in Tucson, Arizona

I have done quite a bit of traveling, up and down, across and around this country. Although, I have been through Tucson before, this past weekend was the first time I have spent a few days there. Tucson is really cool (and really hot). I spent the weekend there for the College Swimming Coaches conference.
As far as swimming goes, I picked up some things we will definitely be using in the future, and I am excited for that.
Outside of the conference, I managed to pack a lot of things into the few days I was there.
Thursday night I drove through the desert mountains on Gates Pass road which is a nice scenic drive. From there I saw stadium lights, so I drove toward them, and ended up at an Arizona-Arizona State baseball game, which was a lot of fun.
Friday I spent some time looking around Tucson, it is nice- no tall buildings, no big lights, very friendly, and it has a much laid back feel to it. I also went to the Tucson Museum of Art, being an Art major, I of course enjoyed that.
Saturday was a little dicey. I decided to go hiking in Rabino Canyon. It was absolutely beautiful, but what I meant to be a short, hour or two hike, turned into a five hour adventure. I saw plenty of lizards, snakes, and great views (no mountain lions though- when I got to the park, they gave a sheet of paper warning of mountain lion attacks and how to protect yourself if being attacked- that was a little scary). To make a long story short; do not go hiking by yourself; when you are in the middle of the Arizona desert- make sure you have plenty of water; and if you have a map- it is probably a good idea to look at it once in a while. Anyway, my legs and feet have never hurt so much in my life, it still hurts to walk, but I survived.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

quit being such a nancy

Anonymous said...

now you know how we feel for about 12 days during fla training!... except probably 10 times worse :p Just kidding coach, its my favoriteee! :-/

Anonymous said...

hey! what happened ? you didn't elaborate. did you have to fight some snakes or something ?